Dr. Katelynn A Perrault, Assistant Professor of Forensic Science and Chemistry, earned her BSc (Hons) in Forensic Science from the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) in 2011. She earned her Ph.D. from the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) in 2015 with a focus on forensic chemistry. Following her doctoral work, Dr. Perrault performed doctoral studies at the University of Liège, applying novel analytical approaches to challenging matrices in various fields such as food science, archaeology and forensic science. Through her research, Dr. Perrault has cultivated an international network of collaborators in academia, police, and government agencies.
Dr. Perrault holds a bachelor’s degree in Forensic Science from the University of Ontario Institute of Technology and a Ph.D. degree in Forensic Analytical Chemistry from the University of Technology Sydney.
Ph.D., University of Technology Sydney
B.Sc., University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Eckert, K.E., Carter, D.O., Perrault, K.A. (2018). Sampling dynamics for volatile organic compounds using headspace solid-phase microextraction arrow for microbiological samples. Separations. 5(3), 45.
- Cnuts, D., Perrault, K.A., Stefanuto, P.-H., Dubois, L.M., Focant, J.-F., Rots, V. (2018) Fingerprinting glues using HS-SPME GC×GC-HRTOFMS: A new powerful method allows tracking glues back in time. Archaeometry. doi: 10.1111/arcm.12364.
- Dubois, L.M., Stefanuto, P.-H., Heudt, L., Focant, J.-F., Perrault, K.A. (2018). Characterizing decomposition odor from soil and adipocere samples at a death scene using HS-SPME-GCxGC-HRTOFMS. Forensic Chemistry. 8 (2018): 11-20.
- Perrault, K.A., Stefanuto, P.-H., Dubois, L.M., Grabherr, S., Varlet, V., Focant, J.-F. (2017). A minimally-invasive method for profiling volatile organic compounds within postmortem internal gas reservoirs. International Journal of Legal Medicine. 131(5): 1271-1281.
- Verheggen, F.*, Perrault, K.A.*, Megido, R.C., Dubois L.M., Francis, F., Haubruge, E., Forbes, S.L., Focant, J.-F., Stefanuto, P.-H. (2017) The odor of death: An overview of current knowledge on characterization and applications. BioScience. 67(7): 600-613.
- Stefanuto, P.-H., Perrault, K.A., Dubois, L.M., L’Homme, B., Allen, C., Loughnane, C., Ochiai, N., Focant, J.-F. (2017). Advanced method optimization for volatile aroma profiling of beer using two-dimensional gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A. 1507:45-52.
- Dubois, L.M., Perrault, K.A., Stefanuto, P.-H., Koschinski, S., Edwards, M., McGregor, L., Focant, J.-F. (2017). Thermal desorption comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography coupled to variable-energy electron ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry for monitoring subtle changes in volatile organic compound profiles of human blood. Journal of Chromatography A. 1501: 117-127.
- Stefanuto, P.-H., Perrault, K.A., Grabherr, S., Varlet, V., Focant, J.-F. (2016) Postmortem internal gas reservoir monitoring using GC×GC-HRTOF-MS. Separations. 3:24.
- Perrault, K.A., Forbes, S.L. (2016). Elemental analysis of soil and vegetation surrounding human analogue decomposition. Journal of the Canadian Society of Forensic Sciences. 49(3): 138-151.
- Perrault, K.A., Stefanuto, P.-H., Dubois, L., Cnuts, D., Rots, V., Focant, J.-F. (2016). A new approach for the characterization of organic residues from stone tools using GC×GC-TOFMS. Separations. 3:2.
Full list of scholarly work available on Google Scholar.
Service to the Profession
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences Standards Board (ASB) BPR 087 Working Group
- Multidimensional Chromatography Workshop Co-Chairperson
- American Chemical Society Hawaii Local Section National Chemistry Week Coordinator
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Trainee Associate
- American Chemical Society, Member
- Canadian Society of Forensic Science, Member
- Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society, Member