Criminology, Delinquency, Statistics, Criminal Justice, Ethics, Sex Crimes
Professor Allen’s expertise and scholarship extends to the areas of corrections; community supervision; delinquency; research and evaluation; policy analysis, and ethics. Professor Allen has extensive background in sociological research and data analysis relating to the areas of criminolgy and criminal justice, and is also interested in projects that benefit the community. Recent projects have included a role as project coordinator for the Century Project/College for Every Student. Through partnering the university with schools in low-income communities, the project seeks to increase academic success and educational opportunities and aspirations beyond high school. (The current school partner is Waimanalo Elementary/Intermediate. ) Dr Allen has extensive background with sentencing simulation research, and is pursuing a re-initiation of Sentencing Simulation Model Project and is working with Corrections Population Management Commission on appropriations/funding possibilities. Dr. Allen is also developing a proposal for a project examining recidivism of Native Hawaiians and the State of Hawaii’s corrections populations.
Allen, J. Sentencing Simulation Model Project: Overview of Re-Initiation of Project. Requested report to Sen. Will Espero (Chair of Public Safety and Military Affairs Committee) and Corrections Population Commission, State of Hawaii. To Hawaii State Legislature for appropriations consideration and potential project funding ($61,000 start-up funding/$50,000 annual thereafter). November 2008.
Allen, J. Survey of School Security Managers & Role of Student CrimeStoppers. Survey construction and data report to Honolulu CrimeStoppers, Inc. Honolulu Police Department. September 2008.
Brown, M., J. Davidon, J. Allen, S. Tavares. Impact and Cost-Benefit Analysis of Hawaii’s Serious and Violent Offender Reentry Initiative: The B.E.S.T. Program. February 2008.
Hankins, H., J. Allen, Q. Le, and M. Torney. Sentencing Simulation Model Project, 2003: Corrections Populations Trends & Projections (1993-2008), Annual Report. Corrections Population Management Commission and Department of Public Safety. February 2004.
Hankins, H., J. Allen, Q. Le, and M. Torney. Sentencing Simulation Model Project, 2002: Corrections Populations Trends & Projections (1993-2007), Annual Report. Corrections Population Management Commission and Department of Public Safety. January 2003.
Q. Le, J. Allen, and M. Torney. Sentencing Simulation Model Project, 2001: Annual Report. Corrections Population Management Commission and Department of Public Safety. December 2001.
Arakaki, C., J. Allen, and P. Perrone. Project Bridge: Program Implementation and Outcome Review. Department of the Attorney General. September 2001.
Kassebaum, G., J. Davidson-Coronado & P. Perrone and J. Allen. Parole Decision Making in Hawaii. Department of the Attorney General, August 2001.
Selected Conferences, Talks and Speaking Engagements
Brown, M. and J. Allen. “The BEST Program: Impact and Cost-benefit Analysis of Hawaii’s Serious and Violent Offender Re-entry Initiative.” Western Society of Criminology. Annual Conference. San Diego, California. (February) 2009.
Allen, J. “Cultural Diversity: Implications for Leading & Learning in Mentoring Programs.” Invited presenter. College For Every Student. Annual National Conference. Bolton Landing, New York. (November) 2008.
Allen, J. “Introduction to Simulation Modeling & Hawaii’s Sentencing Simulation Model Project (SSMP).” Invited presenter. Corrections Population Management Commission, State of Hawaii, Director’s Meeting. Honolulu, Hawaii. (August) 2008.
Allen, J. “Beyond Control: Social Ecological Determinants of Probationer Compliance with the Law.” Hawaii Sociological Association, Annual Conference. Honolulu, Hawaii. (February) 2007.
Allen, J. “The Century Program – Partnership & Mentoring Developments.” Foundation for Excellent Schools, Annual National Conference. Bolton Landing, New York. (November) 2006.
Service to the Profession
- 2008-present: Mission & Identity Committee, Chaminade University of Honolulu.
- 2008-present: University Policy, Planning and Assessment Advisory Council (UPAC). Chaminade University of Honolulu.
- 2008-present: Interagency Council on Intermediate Sanctions, Research & Policy Groups. State of Hawaii.
- 2008-present: Community Epidemiology Work Group (CEWG). National Institute on Drug Abuse. Honolulu.
- 2007-present: Crimestoppers, Inc. Board of Directors (Secretary). Honolulu Police Department.
- 2007-present: Vice President, Hawaii Sociological Association.
- 2007-2008: Library Advisory Committee. Chaminade University of Honolulu.
- 2006-present: Criminal Justice Club (CJ Sleuths). Club Advisor. Chaminade University of Honolulu.
- 2005-present: Internship Coordinator, Criminology & Criminal Justice Department. Chaminade University of Honolulu.
- 2005-present: Coordinator, evaluation and assessment of Criminology & Criminal Justice Department. Chaminade University of Honolulu.
- 2005-2007: Steering Committee, Faculty Senate. Chaminade University of Honolulu.